Whether you are interested in just learning some new dance steps or becoming a dancer, there is plenty on offer. There are six top dance styles that you might want to check out first before you make a decision. Especially if you are considering dance as a career.
– If you watch TV much you more than likely have seen a variety of dance shows where you see dancers twirling around in fancy dance outfits and doing beautiful moves with their partners. What you more than likely have been watching is some type of ballroom dancing.
This type of dancing offered in a variety of different dance studios, offers different styles of dance lessons with partners. The more popular styles of this type of dance form would be the Cha Cha, Foxtrot, Lindy Hop, Jive, Mambo, the Quickstep, Rumba, Samba, the Waltz and of course the Tango.
As a ballroom dancer, it means you have a nice sized list of dances to choose from. If this is something that you might be interested in learning, you don't have to worry about bringing a partner if you don't have one, in fact instructors actually encourage their students to dance with a variety of partners so their students can become better dancers and be able to learn how to dance with anyone.
Ballroom dancing is a very social type of dance and it is also a wonderful way to meet people, it's also the type where you can begin dancing immediately and it's an extremely fun form of exercise that include the chance to wear some pretty cool costumes.
– This is a very high energy type of dance and gained it's popularity in the early 90's. It gets its roots from the street dance called break dancing. This is the type of dance that a dancer will usually perform alone or sometimes with a group of people, but there are no one on one partners.
The dance lessons given include basic techniques that build up a dancers skills over an extended amount of time. The clothing worn is casual and very non-restricting and the type of shoes worn are ones that will give support for all the jumping and stamping.
– Jazz dance and Jazz dance lessons have been around for quite some time and really was popular all over the world in the 70's and 80's. Today's Jazz dance lessons include musical theater, lyrical, class jazz and combinations of modern dance, jazz and ballet. The type of dance lessons you receive will depending totally on the instructor you choose. Jazz dance lessons are great exercise and there is plenty of cardio work and stretching and your brain is continually challenged by the learning of new steps on a regular basis.
– Ballet actually is the form of dance technique that provides basic dance techniques for all other types of dance. If you are looking for a way to not only dance a beautiful style of dancing but also want to increase your stamina, flexibility, strength and your coordination, ballet could be what you are looking for.
Ballet is the most formal type of dance that you will find and the student needs to wear ballet flats and outfits that allow for the instructor to see the students body movements when they are dancing.
– Tap dance lessons are a lot of fun and if you're looking for a way to lose a little weight, this is the ticket because tap dancing is extremely aerobic. In a typical tap class you will start with warm ups and then begin reviewing different steps and combinations of steps. Some instructors don't even use music while others prefer current music pieces or show tunes. It does take some time to master tap and it also can be very frustrating so if you are interested, you need to be patient. The only special attire you need for tap are tap shoes otherwise you just wear comfortable clothes for your lessons.
– If you are looking for something that is less energetic and with less technique than all the others mentioned here, you might want to look into modern dance. This type of dance is more about expression and story telling. If you are more interested in expressing yourself, then this might be the type of dance for your, or at least one to begin with.